The La Brea Tar Pits and Museum is an active Ice Age dig site, which attracts visitors from around the world. Here you can witness discoveries made daily. Explore the tar pits, and come inside the Museum to see what we have found right here and discover the mysteries of the Ice Age revealed. Whatever has drawn you to this natural wonder, we have something for every visitor. Here are some not-to-be-missed highlights:
Get the inside story of the La Brea Tar Pits and experience how an actual Ice Age dig site works.
- Excavator Tour – Not only is it free with Museum admission, but this tour will give you the best overview of the work that is being done here and of the story of the La Brea Tar Pits.
- Titans of the Ice Age – Journey to a world lost in time, and discover how these magnificent creatures became trapped in tar, preserved in time and are still being unearthed today.
- Fossil Lab – After we extract the fossils from the tar we bring them to our Fossil Lab. Watch up close as scientists unlock the mysteries of the Ice Age.
For the science lover:
From unearthing Ice Age treasures from the tar to researching fossils and microfossils right on site, the La Brea Tar Pits and Museum is a paleontological dream.
- Excavator Tour – Get the inside story of the Fossil Lab, Lake Pit, Observation Pit and Project 23.
- Pit 91 – See live excavations happening during the summer. In this 15-foot-deep pit we are still recovering fossils such as saber-toothed cats, dire wolves, and valuable micro-fossils, just to name a few.
- Fossil Lab – This is the real thing, paleontological lab work, up close and personal!
Visiting with kids:
It’s an educational visit that is fun for all ages.
- Titans of the Ice Age – This exciting 3D film adventure gives a great educational overview of the Ice Age, how animals became trapped in tar and how we are discovering them today.
- Ice Age Encounters – Our live, multi-media stage show that includes a life-size adult saber-toothed cat puppet.
- Tar Pull – See what it was like to get trapped in the tar (minus the sticky part).
- Bring a lunch, or grab something nearby, and have a picnic in Hancock Park right in the middle of the La Brea Tar Pits.
- Roll down the hill – Trust us, it’s a kids favorite.
View our interactive map for more information on things not to miss. We look forward to your visit!