Volunteers - NHM
At the Natural History Museum, feed your curiosity for the world while surrounded by dinosaurs, L.A. history, urban nature, and so much more!
- Interpretive Volunteers Engage with visitors in the museum’s galleries. Share museum research and content stories using our award-winning exhibits and touchable objects. Opportunities to join regular shifts are available most days of the week.
- Behind-the-Scenes Volunteers Support a wide variety of museum teams and work directly with our natural and cultural collections; organize artifacts, care for live animal ambassadors, prepare specimens, and so much more. Opportunities are dependent on project needs and availability.
- Events and Programs Connect with thousands of visitors of all ages through our frequent evening and weekend programs. Opportunities like Bug Fair, Haunted Museum, and First Fridays occur throughout the year.
Inspire a deeper look into our world
Have experiences you won't find anywhere else
Dive into programs like Dino Fest
Build on your passion for learning new things
Engage others with unique museum collections
Become a science communicator
1 of 1
Share your inspiration!
- Develop your skills by participating in trainings led by renowned curatorial and education staff
- Explore unique behind-the-scenes opportunities
- Enrich your Volunteer experience by supporting museum programs
- Become a Docent, one of our highest-achieving volunteers
Get involved today! Here's how you get started
- Submit an application for NHM (must be 16 years or older to apply)
- Attend volunteer orientation and complete background check
- Commit to a weekly shift that fits within your schedule
- Start working with our guests and collections